Tongue is a sensitive part in the mouth which kept moist by saliva, and is richly supplied with nerves and blood vessels. They help us speak and eat. In humans a secondary function of the tongue is cleaning one’s teeth. What ever we eat or drink passes by touching tongue, this means if your tongue is not clean then your taking all that bacteria inside your body.
A healthy tongue should be clean and pink in color. Red, inflamed, black or white tongue are the signs of poor and less hygiene tongue. Swollen and inflamed tongue should be checked with your doctor for any infection.
What Should Your Tongue Look Like
- Pinkish in coloured Toungue – A healthy tongue
- A dark red, black or white and inflammation in tongue – Excess consumption of tobacco and Alcohol
- A strawberry pink tongue could – Fever or Kawasaki disease
- A thick white coating on tongue – over secretion of bile in the liver and gall bladder.
- Blue or purple colored toungue – needs urgent medical help
- White patches on toungue – A fungal infection Bald tongue – Deficiency of Vitamin B complex or Iron
- Patches or spots on toungue – Affected by allergies and need to see doctor
- A dry tongue – Sign of stress
Tips For Clean And Hygienic Tongue:
- Change your toothbrush every month
- Use tongue scraper after brush every morning
- Eat ‘detergent’ foods (raw carrots or popcorn )
- Gargle with apple cider vinegar
- Brush with baking soda once a week
- Brush morning and before bed as well