8 interesting and unknown facts about Indian Railways and IRCTC.
July 29, 2014 No Comments
Facts about Indian Railways:
- Indian Railways is one of the oldest working organization in India. It was started in 1853 and the first train was introduced from Mumbai to Thane. In 1951, the Indian Railway system were nationalized as a single unit, the Indian Railways, growing to be one of the biggest railway system on the planet.
- Today, Indian Railway network has 115,000 kms of track over a route of 65,000 kms and 7,500 stations making it the largest rail network in world.
- Today, Indian Railways employs over 1.4 million people making it the world’s ninth biggest commercial or utility employer.
- Indian Railways runs about 14,300 trains daily carrying over 13 million passengers & 1.3 million tones of freight everyday.
Facts about IRCTC:
- IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation) was began on 27th September, 1999 with an aim to improve and modernize the Indian Railway and to enhance the services offered by the Indian Railway.
- is amongst the most viewed web-sites in the world, rankings under 750 top sites worldwide and under 50 top sites in India.
- On an average, Indian Railways website receives over 4.15 lakh online booking daily and over 10 Lakh people online daily.
- In 2010-11, IRCRC generated about Rs 760 crore of revenue from online ticket bookings and catering, but it was decreased to Rs 550 crore in 2011-12 just after it sacrificed the catering service.