90% of both genders have a specific craving for sweets. Who wouldn’t want to get a piece or two of his favorite dessert? And what basically can a little teeny serving harm you… But think twice. Here are some facts about sugar we never knew…Or at least did not give a thought to.
1. In 1900 US consumed 5lbs of sugar per person which has risen to 150 lbs till 2000. today it is about 2-3 pounds per week.
2. Americans consume 53 gallons of soft drinks per person per year. Each can containing 10 tsps of sugar.
3. The world consumption of sugar is increasing at a rate of 1% every year.
4. Consumption of refined sugars cause depletion of vitamin B from the body.
5. Many processed foods like fries,burgers etc contain hidden sugar though not sweet in taste.
6. Are you a sugar addict?
Studies suggest that sugary cereals and baked goods have qualities that are similar to those of addictive drugs. Sugar releases opioids and dopamine, chemicals that activate the brain’s pleasure receptors like drugs do.
7. Eating too many sweets can suppress your white blood cells, making you more susceptible to infections. And because high sugar intake triggers inflammation, it ends up diverting immune cells from the germ-fighting front and directing them toward the inflammation
8. Refined sugars..a big bane. Long term use
- Causes calcium depletion in bones and teeth
- Leading cause of dental cavities
- Suppresses the immune system
- Impairs the function of liver causing gastric ailments and unhealthy skin.
- Inhibits blood flow and causes increased oxidation of cells ..hence increasing the aging process.
- Increased chances of obesity and diabetes mellitus
- Wrinkles ,loss of hair and other skin ailments.
9. Artificial Sweeteners may actually cause weight gain
People drink diet sodas and sugar free drinks. But do they really help? They are found to be a major cause of weight gain because they cause increase in appetite and hence more munching.
10. Normal intake of sugar on a daily basis is found to be associated with major health problems—including diabetes,mental problems,asthma,heart disease,gall stones etc.
11. Insulin Impacts:
Sugar raises insulin levels, inhibiting the release of growth hormones which depresses the immune system. Further, too much insulin promotes the storage of fat, so that when you eat foods that are high in sugar, you’re enabling rapid weight gain and elevated triglyceride levels, both of which have been linked to cardiovascular disease.
12. Degenerative Disease:
Sugar has no real nutritional value and as a result, has a bad effect on the endocrine system, causing sugar consumption to be one of the major causes of degenerative disease like Alzheimer’s.
13. Cancer Culprits:
Increased levels of sugars increases the rate of growth of cancer cells. Controlling one’s blood-glucose levels through diet, exercise, supplements, meditation and prescription drugs – when necessary – can be extremely important to a cancer treatment program.
So next time you feel the urge of gulping up some sweets or your sweet tooth gets the better of you…remember you had read some shocking facts about sugar.